Life in the Land of the Rising Sun

Sunday, April 02, 2006

Okay, Time for Me to Be a Doting Dad

My, but time flies! It seems like only yesterday that my son was spending most of his time peeing and puking. (Well, he still does to some extent, but you know what I mean!) Now he has crossed yet another major milestone in his life; he has graduated from kindergarten. ("Hallelujah" a la Handel)

I thought some of you might like to share the experience (and if you don't, you know where you can stuff it), so here are some pics:



Here's the little guy in his sparkling, new graduation suit. Doesn't he look dapper? Hmm..."dapper". You don't hear that word much anymore, do you? It's kind of a baby boomer kind of word, or even older. So why am I using it now? Beats me, but he does look kind of dapper, doesn't he?



And now...the graduation ceremony! When his name was called, he said, "Hai!" ("yes") at the top of his lungs (*blush*) and stood up like he'd been electrocuted. He then bowed to his teacher, bowed again to the VIP guests, and then proceeded to The Spot Before The Principal (minor key fanfare):



The Principal (minor 7th key fanfare) looks at him with apparent puzzlement. He's probably wondering what the hell the world is coming to with a half-gaijin (two, actually, including his half-Thai classmate) moving up the education ladder in his beloved country. Maybe he sees it as still further proof that our beloved (hick) town of Aso is gone, replaced by Namegata City, whose rather kitsch-looking, new flag is there to the right of the Hinomaru. (Either that or he's upset because I won't have any reason to give his students free English or music seminars anymore. Sure, dream on, Moody!)

The question is...will he let my son graduate??!? (Drumroll please.)



OMIGOD!!!!!! MY SON HAS LOST HIS HEAD!!!!!!! WHAT HAVE THEY DONE??!?!?!??!?

No, actually, he is only bowing. The Principal (lochrian key fanfare) gave him his diploma.



Now formally certified as an ex-kindergartener, my son gives the audience a final bow of thanks before returning to his seat. After all the kids have gone through this routine, the formal ceremony ends. Then it is time for yet another cuteness overload. (diminished 7th fanfare)

(Are you non-musicians following all these fanfares?)



Here's my son enjoying the post-graduation fun with his "gang". Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you the Future of Japan!!! (Everybody sell your stock and move to Fiji while you can!)



Okay, let me pummel you across the face with one last pic. Here is the little guy posing with his brand new elementary school bag. Yes, grade schoolers in Japan traditionally use these bulky, boxy backpacks. Girls use red ones, and boys use black and blue ones. (Hmm...what do those colors signify, I wonder. Any theories?)

Okay, my exercise in parental indulgence is over. We now return to our regular program...if we ever figure out what it is...

12 Comments:

  • MM, that is really nice. Thank you for sharing the event. Does your family know that you're actually a fun person or do you put up a stern and 'moody' front at home? I wonder.

    Dapper, alright, your son. He looks shy, the first picture. Does he look more like his mom?

    The last picture, is he having some rashes on the face? I couldn't help noticing lighter shades around the chin/jaw area. Probably just the camera. Thanks again.

    By Blogger HappySurfer, at 11:59 PM  

  • He may be only half Japanese, but the Maxfield look is no doubt present. The question is, will he play the clarinet, or the violin? Or soccer?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:07 AM  

  • Oh! Cuteness overload! Not so moody now are you?

    Hahah.
    Congrats to both of you. Hugs*

    By Blogger gus, at 3:48 PM  

  • Thanks for sharing this wonderful moments with us.

    The joy of graduation has never left my mind.. Of all the graduation ceremony I attended, the one that I will never forget was My MBA graduation. Not having a photographer with me, I passed my camera to my dad (who was a photography fanatic in his younger days) as I proudly walk up to receive my certificate and award.

    He was so excited that took 10 pictures of our feet and the ground. ahaha

    the joy of being a proud parent!

    By Blogger Robin CHAN, at 6:54 PM  

  • Robin, that is so cute! Now, would you be so kind as to share your feet, pls? haha......
    Oops! I shouldn't be laughing at other people's misery.... but I couldn't help it. LOL!!

    By Blogger HappySurfer, at 7:36 PM  

  • Nice photos. Thanks for sharing them.
    As for the backpack, it is called "randoseru" from the Dutch word "ransel". It's quite typical boys have black ones and girls red ones.

    But, you can see other (only a few) colored and a little different designed ones at department stores in big cities.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:26 PM  

  • Congratulations on another of life's milestones. Handsome, dapper, young lad! Kindergarten graduate now too. What was his major? Japan's future is in good hands.

    (I'm still moving to Fiji however).

    qcrdn - a bellows like instrument with a qeyboard on the side

    By Blogger Pandabonium, at 8:33 PM  

  • Congrats! It reminded me of my dad, who gets so excited in every graduation I went through. I'm gonna call him to give him a long-distance big hug n kiss now! thanks moody for sharing those previous moments!

    i particularly like your background music very much. especially the principal's part. :)

    By Blogger YD, at 9:43 PM  

  • I see both you and Mrs. Minstrel in the young'un. Thank you for sharing the pix!

    By Blogger Don Snabulus, at 11:16 PM  

  • Omedetou!! Pretty handsome boy you got there... do you need to make him bento? or is the school going to give lunch for him?

    By Blogger Lrong Lim, at 9:20 AM  

  • How sweet! We have a proud father here :p He has a good teacher (moody?) at home anyway :)

    By Blogger @ロウ 。LOW@, at 7:14 PM  

  • Dear Aunties and Uncles:

    Thank Q... for yours warmest greetings!. He…he…my dad is a very kind and nice daddy ‘n he treats me as a friend.

    I love U, dada!!!!!!!!! Thanks for being my reporter.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home