Life in the Land of the Rising Sun

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Rolling in the Music

This definitely has to be a new record for me. Over the past two weeks I've arranged three tunes (one for the Flying Eggheads jazz band, one for the orchestra, and one for a brass ensemble) to be performed at this Saturday's Big Regular Concert (rather overwrought fanfare). Couple that with one new original tune finished last week (Floral Aura) and two others currently in the works (plus at least two others in mind ready to go), and you have a serious workout for my muse.

I guess it's making up for all those weeks of sitting idle.

Maybe I should also mention all the time I spent at the end of February and beginning of this month writing out all the individual parts for the "Throne Room March" from Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope so we could perform it at our graduation ceremony. (We had a purchased copy of the score, but no sheet music.) The kids did an excellent job with it, and it really was an effective entry march.

Kudos to Sibelius.

This is definitely turning out to be a musical spring...not counting the sneezes...

Labels:

8 Comments:

  • Now you need the Darth Vader music for when the Principal makes his appearance!

    By Blogger Rock Chef, at 2:40 AM  

  • Hehe, Darth Vader tune for the Principal...

    But three tunes in two weeks is no easy feat. I've made no tune in my entire life; guess that makes me a listener, I only tune in.

    By Blogger gus, at 12:32 PM  

  • Rock Chef
    Believe me, I seriously thought about it! Darth Vader's theme gets used a lot as TV incidental music here in Japan, and we have the score for it, so I considered making the sheet music for it, too. Unfortunately, it would be over the kids' heads. It's too difficult. All those fast triplets in the brass and flutes have to be double- or triple-tongued, and very few students can do that well.

    Gus
    Hey, welcome back! Long time no see!

    There's nothing wrong with being a listener; if it weren't for the listeners there'd be no reason to make the music in the first place!

    By Blogger The Moody Minstrel, at 12:53 PM  

  • You and your textural instrumentals...I enjoyed Floral Aura.

    Good luck with the rest.

    By Blogger Don Snabulus, at 2:09 PM  

  • I like the Darth Vader theme also. It is my favorite Star Wars theme.

    By Anonymous Dave, at 2:41 AM  

  • Does the "Throne Room March" have anything to do with your electronic toilet?

    By Blogger Pandabonium, at 5:55 PM  

  • Panda-B
    Not really. It mainly plays progressive and alternative rock these days, which sometimes makes me wonder about the effect of asymmetrical meters on the digestive tract.

    By Blogger The Moody Minstrel, at 10:06 PM  

  • Nothing advanced a blockage in the digestive track like a good march.

    By Anonymous Dave, at 3:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home