Life in the Land of the Rising Sun

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Some May Colors...Just Because

May 2011 color 2

Some purple ayame (iris) growing by the fishpond near my house. (I have yet to find a camera that effectively captures that color!)

Praying ayame beckon to a sky
Ugly and gray, not wishing for sunshine.
Rather, they hope the rain that draweth nigh
Pours not with cesium or iodine.
Lovely flowers, but even they
Endure the isotopes of May.

You can also see a few scattered remnants of the magenta azaleas in the background.

May's greeting
Against the green bush,
Great blast of color bursting forth,
Enraptured herald of the new beginnings
Neither stymied nor slowed by the
Tectonic ripples of March.
Affably pink.

May 2011 color 6

Here's a white ayame growing in my late mother-in-law's little garden next to my father-in-law's little "field" ("fieldlet"?). A little of my neighborhood(?) is also visible.

Where are all the houses, I say?
Have they jumped up and run away?
Indeed, they are there,
Tucked away tight somewhere
Exiled even from the light of day.

May 2011 color 4

Speaking of white, this large, pure white hydrangea bloomed wayyyy earlier than the others.

Wetness in the air
Humidity increases
Insects cry and fly
Tremors rattle every day
Even so the flowers grow

May 2011 color 7

Then there are these yellow things that keep popping up in the "20th-of-an-acre farm". They're apparently a weed and kind of a pest, but FIL insists that they have value, so he always leaves them where they appear.

You never know just what you can expect
Each year my wife's dear father grabs his hoe.
Lord only knows just what he will do next;
Lots of the time he simply lets it go.
Of course he always plants some seeds
While also cultivating weeds.

And of course, we can't forget the most basic color of Spring:

Good riddance, winter cold;
Really, it was just getting old.
Even so, I know well
Ere the hot humid hell.
Now it's time to start dealing with mold...

...but it's still pretty. More to come!

7 Comments:

  • That was a nice taste of spring and relevant poetry. Thanks!

    By Anonymous Kehlwok, at 2:30 PM  

  • That was fun!

    I think my rabbits might enjoy those yellow weeds...

    By Blogger Rock Chef, at 7:56 PM  

  • I'm glad somebody is having a beautiful Spring. Loved the poetry! Have you tried the Canon IXUs55 or the Panasonic Lumix line? I read a review that rated those as top-notch on color reproduction.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 5:28 AM  

  • Sorry about that last one, I was logged into the wrong Google account.

    By Blogger FragBait, at 5:30 AM  

  • Kehlwok
    Oh, KEHLWOK!!!!

    Rock Chef
    At least that would be a clearly identifiable benefit! I don't know what my FIL does with them, but he insists on letting them grow.

    Andy
    My camera IS a Lumix. It did a better job with those ayame than my old Sony PowerShot ever did, but it still doesn't get them as vivid as the real thing.

    By Blogger The Moody Minstrel, at 11:02 AM  

  • Farmvillage in your Blog, new game application. :D

    By Anonymous Pinkpanther, at 4:36 PM  

  • Your poetic skills never disappoint.

    As for color - I think flowers hit our eyes with parts of the spectrum which cameras just can't capture. I'm sure the manufacturer's engineers know all about it, but there are kinds of infrared frequencies involved with flowers and I think the camera people just don't know how to grab them all the way our eyes do.

    The "weeds" look like nanohana - rapeseed. Rapeseed is good for making oil, but I too have questioned the reasoning behind growing just a few. Perhaps as a nitrogen fixer or otherwise garden-beneficial plant to be turned back into the soil?

    WV: Norsenum - Viking frostbite.

    By Blogger Pandabonium, at 3:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home