Life in the Land of the Rising Sun

Sunday, May 28, 2006

Is the Third Time the Charm?

I realize I'm probably running this thing straight into the ground, but I was reminded to take pictures of that Anne Frank rose for the PTA newsletter today, and on my way out I noticed that there were actually some blossoms on it. Wouldn't you know it, I just happened to have my camera with me, so I went in and shot a few close-ups. I hope these will be a bit more satisfying than the last few.



The story goes that a choral group from Japan performed at the town of Natanya in Israel back in the 1960s. After the concert, an old man approached the group and introduced himself as Otto Frank, Anne's father. Saying he was interested in promoting peace and world friendship, Otto began a regular correspondence with the Japanese choral group, and eventually he sent along a type of rose he had bred himself at his arboretum in Basel, Switzerland. This was the "Anne Frank" rose, named in memory of his daughter.



Grafts and bulbs of the Anne Frank rose were eventually shipped to schools, public buildings, and churches all over Japan. Ironically, the original Anne Frank rose in Basel died, so the Japanese sent several bulbs there so it could be replaced.

A colorful tale for a colorful flower, indeed!

(I think I need to buy a better digicam...)

2 Comments:

  • Ahh... Finally, the close up look of the famous Ann Frank flower. Pretty.

    So this is how the connection was made. With common hopes for peace.

    I remembered entering the Ann Frank House in Amsterdam, and felt quite sad for the day. The conditions of living during THAT time is simply devastating.

    Thank you for the remembrance.

    By Blogger YD, at 2:59 AM  

  • beautiful roses with such a nice & touching story.

    PEACE is priceless, sadly, for most who never experienced turbulent times, PEACE seems to be taken for granted.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home