Life in the Land of the Rising Sun

Thursday, October 26, 2006

Off for the (Working) Weekend

Well, everybody, tomorrow morning I'm off for four fun-filled, action-packed days of running around Hiroshima and Kyoto with 170+ 9th graders. That's right; it's school excursion time again. It will be my sixth time to do this thing, but it'll be my seventh visit to Hiroshima and eighth visit to Kyoto. I definitely have more experience doing this than anyone else at Ye Olde AcademyTM simply because they attach me to the grade 9 staff almost every year.

Oh, well. It's usually enjoyable...and ironically relaxing.

I'm already finding myself filled with a strange longing for the beautiful autumn leaves, called momiji (紅葉) in Japanese, though the trip is earlier than usual this year, and I probably won't see much.

I'll tell you all about it after I get back!

11 Comments:

  • tfHave fun!!!

    Can't wait the story and also pictures :)

    By Blogger Selba, at 6:51 PM  

  • Yes, the pics!

    Hey, guess what, I just learned that I've known about tanka since I was in high school more than 10 years ago. I read the Tale of Genji, and have just rediscovered it. Do you know it?

    I wish I could read it again, I am so much less naive now.

    My code: pmsxmogf
    You never get the long ones...

    By Blogger Olivia, at 5:45 AM  

  • Wow! Sounds like fun. How old are the ninth graders actually? I've always wondered about the education system in Japan. Would you be so kind as to do a post on it sometime?

    By Blogger HappySurfer, at 6:06 PM  

  • Didn't you just do this? Time flies I guess.

    Wish I could go to Hiroshima. If I wore a Seishin uniform...ah forget it.
    Enjoy. Again.

    By Blogger Pandabonium, at 5:24 PM  

  • I want a school trip! Enjoy your trip ya, awaiting your post about it.

    (by the way, just to tell you that a few of us will be borrowing your neochat box for some little nice party...)

    By Blogger YD, at 2:46 AM  

  • well, i'm a little late in posting, but i hope you have a good time. can't wait to see pics! :)

    By Blogger Um Naief, at 6:03 PM  

  • Everyone seems to be waiting for pictures =P

    Pictures pictures pictures!!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:03 PM  

  • Hello, everyone!

    I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack!!!!!!

    Okay, I guess I need to get busy...

    By Blogger The Moody Minstrel, at 10:41 PM  

  • BTW, Olivia, yes, I've read the Tale of Genji. It takes place mostly in Kyoto, and that's where I just was. It's always interesting seeing places and things that are mentioned in the story.

    Anyway...

    By Blogger The Moody Minstrel, at 10:42 PM  

  • welcome back!!! can't wait to see the pictures and to hear the stories.

    By Blogger Um Naief, at 8:09 PM  

  • cool enjoy yourself.

    I heard this year.. autumn is cold.. and snow is coming in some part of japan already..

    hopefully u had nice weather and beautiful autumn leaves

    By Blogger Robin CHAN, at 11:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home