Life in the Land of the Rising Sun

Saturday, November 18, 2006

Friday Free-Verse

Chilly, misty gray Autumn day...
Reality wishes it had time to sleep,
For there are times
When it is just too damn real,
Even for itself.

Outside the window
The dampness pretends to be smoke
Writhing down to the ground,

Dancing around the new potted flowers
And the new cypress lattice,
Turning their colors gray,
Kissing them all with cold, white lips

And leaving them wet with anticipation.
Inside the room
I eye the stack of papers
That has occupied and annexed my desk,
All of them screaming, "Do me now,"
But I won't.

They have no power over me.
Surrender to paper, and you
Surrender your life.

I know better
Than to encourage it!
Instead, I choose to bow
To MUSIC and

The almighty internet.
Mr. U comes in.
His face is saying, "Get off that damned computer,"
But his mouth is saying nothing,
Though his hand is holding something:
A gray envelope!
And now his mouth is saying,
"This is for you."

Last Saturday's double-talk and double-cross,
Tricked into working,
Working hard
And punished for it,

But now, to my surprise,
Rewarded!

(Enough for a case of beer!)
Rewarded?
Hey, can I maybe do it again
Next time?

Okay...time for coffee...

5 Comments:

  • That's an awful lot of off-color language mister.


    herslei - The new Hershey pineapple chocolate bar.

    By Blogger Don Snabulus, at 6:05 AM  

  • Nice idea to use colour. I must do that with some of my old poems. I did a set on the theme of colours so I'll try and find them amidst the junk.
    W.

    By Blogger Peceli and Wendy's Blog, at 7:23 AM  

  • A weekend haiku:

    Got my new laptop
    Watched Memoirs of a Geisha
    Enjoyed the widescreen

    :)Beautiful movie!

    By Blogger Olivia, at 6:18 AM  

  • nice poem... i wish i could see it in front of me to make comments about certain areas... one part that sticks out in my head is kissing w/ white lips. that's very nice...

    By Blogger Um Naief, at 2:47 PM  

  • what a silly haiku that was Olivia!

    LOL@Don Snabulus!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home