Life in the Land of the Rising Sun

Saturday, January 27, 2007

A Member of the Club...But Not By Choice

Recently we've been having classic Kanto Plain winter weather, i.e. cold and bone dry. The forecast called for a bit of rain on Sunday, but otherwise all clear.

I guess one of the weather demons bumped a switch or something. This evening, totally out of the blue (no pun intended), it just started pouring down rain. It squalled on and off for a couple of hours, and then it cleared up again. Now the stars are out as clear and beautiful as ever (considering the haze content of the air around here). Not only that, but going outside gives another fringe benefit: the wonderful smell of freshly-fallen rain.

If only it weren't so cold. I just hope it doesn't turn to black ice tomorrow morning...

***

Well, I suppose it was bound to happen sooner or later. Google decided to take off the gloves and start throwing sucker punches. For months now every log-on to the Blogger dashboard to write a new post earned me a sales pitch, first for "beta", and then for "new Blogger". I carefully ignored both of them. Tonight, however, I wasn't given a choice. When I logged on to write this post I was told to click an "accept terms of service" box and log in again. It was the only option available (besides leaving the site). Going through with it brought me to a page in which I was told either to log in to my Google account or create one. I logged into the one I made a few weeks ago, and a dialog opened saying my blog sites were being converted.

I guess I'm on "new Blogger" now whether I like it or not...and I have to start learning my way around all over again. Oh, well. I was thinking of making the switch sooner or later anyway. Still, it's the principle of the thing. I don't really like having this "choice" forced upon me without any prior warning.

(Was there any prior warning...?)

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

  • Testing...one...two...three...

    By Blogger The Moody Minstrel, at 12:41 AM  

  • Oh that's funny! I made the switch about half an hour ago, of my own free will. Like you, I figured I'd have to do it eventually anyway.

    Rather handy that I've had an unused Googlemail account for over a year now.

    By Blogger Olivia, at 3:33 AM  

  • Yep, I had the negative option as well. An upgrade is an upgrade I suppose. Looks like there's more stuff, so that's nice.

    By Blogger Don Snabulus, at 8:39 AM  

  • I just went through the same steps myself a few hours ago. I almost gave up. Life is complicated enough without having to create more passwords etc..

    BTW, I am not giving you the cold shoulder at all. I enjoy your comments and sense of humor. The only reason I am not very consistent with my comments and responses lately is due to lack of time and lack of ideas. I have so many emails that I have to respond to and never do . Instead I am putting comments on blogs :P

    By Blogger Leilouta, at 8:49 AM  

  • If they want to makes changes, fine, it's their system and I don't pay for it (here comes my big but) BUT - why can't they just announce it nicely, give everyone a heads up that by such and such a date you'll be on the new system, in the meantime you're welcome to switch over early etc. Instead I was led to believe I had an option.

    Sound of file sharpening Panda claws.

    By Blogger Pandabonium, at 2:08 PM  

  • i actually like the new blogger... some nice features. but i agree w/ you, i wouldn't like anything being put upon me w/out giving me a choice first.

    i saw on the news here where japan was having some cold temps. we talked about you upon seeing it! :)

    By Blogger Um Naief, at 4:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home