Life in the Land of the Rising Sun

Friday, March 20, 2009

Tribal Culture?

These days I've had a special affinity for the Baroque composer Telemann. One reason is that his personal history bears a superficial resemblance to mine. As with me, his parents tried very hard to steer him away from music, even to the point of more or less forcing him to major in a university subject that was more commercially "safe" but didn't really suit him (in his case law). However, he continued to do music on his own, and he was able to make headway in it mainly thanks to both his own efforts and the various contacts he made. Another reason I like Telemann is that, even despite (or perhaps because of) the enormous volume of compositions he cranked out, he was known to be one of the most progressive composers of his day. He often used unusual combinations of instruments. He was also fond of experimenting with musical structures and rhythms which were wholly uncommon at the time. In other words, he's definitely a man (or at least a ghost) after my own heart.

I'm not sure why, but recently I began to think to myself: "You know, Telemann may have tried a lot of different things in his music, but he never made a tune in African or Afro-Caribbean style. If he were to try, what would it sound like...?"

Well, I decided to find out. This is the result. Tribal Culture. More details can be found on my Minstrel's Muse site.

Labels: , , ,

8 Comments:

  • You decided to go for baroque on this one.

    That was an interesting fusion. I like your new tunes. I only wish I was more intimately knowledgeable of Telemann's work.

    By Blogger Don Snabulus, at 5:25 AM  

  • Wow. I liked it of course. When I was in my teens I had a huge Baroque/Medieval/Renaissance thing going and loved Telemann, Purcell, madrigals, and so on.

    By Blogger Olivia, at 6:57 AM  

  • Snabudon
    Amazingly, although I've always liked chamber music, and Telemann is considered one of the biggest names in that genre, I really didn't have that much exposure to his work until recently. It was kind of ironic that, during the same Saturday afternoon concert at Ye Olde Academy, two different alumni performed Telemann solos, one on viola, the other on recorder, and I really liked both of them. Then, a couple of weeks later, some students performed a really nice Telemann recorder ensemble for a class. It was then that I decided to check him out a bit more. I've had a CD of Telemann chamber ensembles (using the same instrumentation as "Tribal Culture") playing in my car stereo for the past few months.

    Well, "Tribal Culture" was certainly a fun way to kill an afternoon at the school after all classes were finished for the school year. You can do some interesting things with Sibelius and SynthFont!

    Olivia
    Somehow, m'lady, I am not surprised! I think I'd find it odd if you hadn't had a fondness for that sort of music at least sometime in your life!

    Hmm...madrigals. Madrigals? Madrigals!!! Madrigals and sea shanties!!!!!

    Come to think of it...
    Hmm.....

    By Blogger The Moody Minstrel, at 10:51 AM  

  • There are these children's videos that my sister plays for my niece. THey are very simple in arrangements, not quite as technical as this one, but this song reminds me of them.

    I was wondering which track you wrote first.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:48 AM  

  • African and Afro-Caribbean music are so naturally lively and happy that it makes sense to use it in childrens' videos.

    Did you notice I changed the order on the Minstrel's Muse site? For the new tunes, anyway, I realized it was too misleading to have to scroll down for the newer stuff, so I reversed it.

    By Blogger The Moody Minstrel, at 9:46 PM  

  • Incidentally, I made a significant new discovery today.

    In that home recording contest I'm planning to enter there is no limit on how many tunes you can submit. They actually encourage you to submit as many as possible! It's just that each individual submission (i.e. each time you turn in the form and pay the fee) is limited to one tune.

    I think I'll add a few more.

    By Blogger The Moody Minstrel, at 9:48 PM  

  • Telemann is doing the limbo in his grave....

    Just kidding!

    word verif. - "backbo" - the old word for "limbo" - is that serendipity or what?

    By Blogger Pandabonium, at 6:23 PM  

  • Panda-B
    Blogger is trying to tell you that your sense of humor is predictable.

    Just kidding!

    By Blogger The Moody Minstrel, at 9:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home