Life in the Land of the Rising Sun

Tuesday, June 02, 2009

*SNIP*

We finally got Tora de-nuggetified...now that he's two years old! I'd been meaning to do it for the past year (Famous last words...), but everytime I tried to make an appointment something came out of the blue, forcing me to cancel it. This time my father-in-law, who has been all but adopting Tora these days, took care of it.

The last time my family in Oregon had a male cat de-stingered while I was there, the poor fuzzball was wiped out when he came back from the vet and looked miserable for a day or two afterward. In Tora's case, I came home from work only a few hours after he'd had the surgery, and he almost seemed more cheerful than usual. He even greeted me by climbing up onto a high space, vaulting onto my shoulder, and curling up there (a favorite trick of his) with his purr motor going full bore. The forced removal of his rump lumps hadn't slowed him down or darkened his mood a bit. If anything, he actually seems happier...and more affectionate.

Of course, there was also a noticeable difference in the extent of the surgery. The vet in Oregon had left the family cat more or less completely devoid of posterior decor. In Tora's case they seem to have removed only what was absolutely necessary and neatly stitched up the rest, i.e. a far less invasive procedure (but still enough to make a guy cringe).

Hopefully now Tora will stop disappearing for a few days at intervals.

2009 Tora
"Whatever..."

-----

In other news (which is a repeat for Facebook readers), we recently had midterm exams at Ye Olde Academy. One of the tests I had to check was 11th grade English writing. The Japanese-to-English translation problems often yield some very interesting results. This time was no exception. For example, there is the student that wrote:

"She doesn't mind spending her mommy in her clothes as long as it's fashionable."

Another student, on the same problem, had this to offer:

"She doesn't mind spending her money on clothes as long as they're fissionable."
Seriously...I have to wonder what sort of Freudian hints I'm seeing here...

16 Comments:

  • Tora - "Moody, have you seen my balls? I'm pretty sure had 'em when I was in the yard and then I got in the car with your FIL.."

    By Blogger Pandabonium, at 9:59 PM  

  • Great post..love the kitty pic!...our cat stays around, purely for the food of course!

    Love the "Engrish funny" type stuff...it's a hoot!

    By Blogger ladybug, at 10:14 PM  

  • Tora got neutered? Ouch...

    We are also going to bring Vincent this weekend to see the vet so he'd be neutered... poor Vincent! But to prevent Adele and Bella from getting pregnant.

    We don't want any incest happened in the family :P

    By Blogger Selba, at 10:17 PM  

  • Bob Barker approves.

    By Blogger Don Snabulus, at 10:53 PM  

  • I'm glad Tora has responded well to his surgery. My yippy barky cocker spaniel was supposed to be calmer after his *ship*, but 'twasn't so...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:44 AM  

  • Its a good thing your father in law took him to the vet, otherwise he'd blame you for it.

    By Anonymous Dave, at 1:55 AM  

  • Pandabonium-
    Moody - "Forget about it. Here, let me scratch your back some more..."

    Ladybug-
    Tora would tend to come and go at intervals. He'd be almost a total housecat for a few days, then we couldn't keep him inside, then he'd wander off and be AWOL for a few days, then he'd be back in the house again. I figured it had to do with the state of certain other cats in the neighborhood.

    At least he has always been a lovable, affectionate thing...if you don't mind a slight aggressive streak.

    Selba-
    Yeah, animals tend not to have many scruples with that sort of thing, do they? "If it moves, love it!"

    Snabudon-
    Woof.

    Nikkipolani-
    "Calmer" is not really the same thing as "less energetic". He's probably less inclined to fight, but that doesn't mean he's less inclined to play. Oh, well. Time may yet tell.

    Dave-
    You're probably right. Either that or he'd try to lecture me about why it's wrong to have animals neutered...

    By Blogger The Moody Minstrel, at 9:28 AM  

  • That's a lovely pic of Tora. As soon as I saw *SNIP* in my sidebar, I knew I was going to read about neutering!

    Spaying and neutering is a godsend for pet owners, I just wish they would realize that. Not only does it prevent overpopulation, but pets are much better behaved.

    By Blogger Olivia, at 11:51 AM  

  • Much better behaved, careful, they'll be neutering people next!

    By Anonymous Dave, at 2:05 PM  

  • Olivia-
    And yet you still have people complaining that it's "cruel"...while people continue to dump off unwanted kittens and puppies. I'll never figure out the ideals of some types.

    Dave-
    It has already happened historically. There was an age when it was rather common.

    By Blogger The Moody Minstrel, at 4:04 PM  

  • Poor Tora!

    Having lost that interest, the next thing to worry about will be that he starts getting fatter and fatter...

    By Blogger Rock Chef, at 5:45 PM  

  • Chief Rock Chef-
    Very true! But still, I'd rather have him get fat then get ripped up every other week by the other tomcats in the neighborhood he keeps going and picking fights with (and apparently losing)!

    By Blogger The Moody Minstrel, at 11:45 PM  

  • I remember a movie we watched when we were younger. In it an attorney in a court room asks the defendant about a pair of salad tongs.

    "Sir, can you tell me what these are?"

    "Testicle crushers!!!" was the reply.

    By Anonymous Dave, at 10:11 AM  

  • cute slips... and maybe they are a bit Freudian :)

    you're on facebook?? we are too.

    you know, they now have stuff that brings the animal down off the anesthesia.. and the animal is much happier after... which is good. always hated the affects of that stuff. he'll be a happier cat.. that's for sure. males are so bad about spraying and being a bit rude sometimes, but once they're fixed, they calm down and become fat and sooo affectionate and lovable.. good that your FIL took the step! :)

    By Blogger Um Naief, at 3:34 AM  

  • Wow Tora, hang in there. I guess I was lucky, instead of a operation "down there" I just got a long lasting birth control pill implanted in my neck. I'm fine with it now, as I'm sure you are after healing up.

    By Blogger Momo the Wonder Dog, at 5:29 PM  

  • Vincent had his surgery yesterday morning. So far, we considered it as a successful surgery :)

    Check it out the story:
    http://selbydogs.blogspot.com/2009/06/vincent-being-neutered.html

    By Blogger Selba, at 5:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home