Life in the Land of the Rising Sun

Sunday, November 15, 2009

A Few Updates: Problems Solved

The Flying Eggheads Jazz Bigband (i.e. the Ye Olde Academy stage band) did the Kashima Seaside Jazz Festival after all! We had three members out with the H1N1 flu and one down with a broken ankle, but we were able to cover for them. The boy with the broken ankle was actually more of an extra-in-training than a regular member anyway, so it wasn't really a problem. Two of the ones out with the flu were percussionists, so we pulled in others from the percussion section to cover for them (which lowered the section's potential a bit, but they still did a good job). The only serious loss was the remaining student out with the flu; she is our lead tenor saxophonist. The solution? I played the part myself.

I got out that clunky, old Selmer mk VII tenor that my mother bought used (from West Linn High School, no less!) and gave me for my birthday during my second year of college. I miraculously stumbled on my long-lost Meier mouthpiece, invested in some more jazz-worthy reeds (since my last performance on it was "Bolero" with the Kashima Philharmonic Orchestra using a Selmer mouthpiece and regular VanDoren "blue-box" reeds), and divided the gig between playing and conducting. I shamelessly admit that I had a blast doing it, too, even though it was my first tenor sax performance of any kind in two years and my first jazz performance on it for much, much longer.

I would say that I wished the lead tenor sax player would get sick more often, but my conscience would never forgive me.

***

Speaking of music-related problems solved, the file-hosting service I've been using for the music files linked through my Minstrel's Muse website has finally fixed its server glitch. It was down "temporarily" for "maintenance" for several weeks. Now it's working again, which means the site is fully active and ready for more! Of course, the ReverbNation player in the margin here and on the Minstrel's Muse site as well as my Facebook profile is still the most convenient way to listen to my most recent works. Those wanting a broader sample of my compositions and recordings over the years, however, should really check out the Minstrel's Muse.

7 Comments:

  • Congrats on the adjustments and the return of your file server.

    I remember that sax. How cool is that?

    By Blogger Don Snabulus, at 2:53 AM  

  • I thought you bought another saxaphone for Japan. Was it not a tenor sax? Or am I imagining things. Well, good show anyhow.

    Glad to hear your computer issues are solved.

    By Anonymous Dave, at 7:34 AM  

  • Don Snabulus
    That is cool.
    I had it shipped to Japan during my second year here, and it arrived in pieces. Since Selmer mk VIIs are actually something of a collector's item, I was in a state of panic, but the best-known music shop in Mito fixed it up for me. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts! ;-)

    Dave
    I have bought two saxophones since coming to Japan, both of them altos. The first one was a Yanagisawa student model I got because it was really cheap, and I needed an alto in a hurry. Two years later I got a Keilwerth SX90R, which is a professional model and a very nice horn. (I also got it at a whopping discount because it was "briefly owned" and therefore technically not new.)

    By Blogger The Moody Minstrel, at 11:38 AM  

  • The Show Must Go On!

    Glad you had fun! I love a bit of alto sax!

    By Blogger Rock Chef, at 8:33 PM  

  • Rock Chef
    I started on tenor sax in high school and switched to alto for the most part in my later college years. Since coming to Japan I've mostly played alto, though I have been called upon to play tenor (or soprano) from time to time.

    I have yet to touch a baritone sax, let alone a bass or sopranino (or any of the rarer ones).

    By Blogger The Moody Minstrel, at 11:26 PM  

  • On that note, almost all the sax work in my recordings has been on alto, mainly the newer Keilwerth horn.

    By Blogger The Moody Minstrel, at 11:27 PM  

  • You are the can-do man, MM. Bravo to you! Glad to hear festival took place after all.

    By Anonymous nikkipolani, at 1:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home