Life in the Land of the Rising Sun

Friday, August 06, 2010

Deja Vu (again)

Right now I am a member of a group,
And yet I am not.

I am with them in the public eye,
And in front of the audience,
Yet I am kept outside
And treated with scorn.

I am included in the applause,
And in the credits,
Yet I am patronized
And treated like extra baggage.

I am given sugary compliments
And assured of my importance,
Yet the backs quickly turn,
And I am given a deaf ear.

I am reminded of my efforts
And of how they helped get us here,
Yet my work is taken for granted,
And others are held in higher regard.

Limits were imposed on my efforts
And I was told it was for my own benefit,
Yet it seems I'm being punished for it,
And others are taking the bows.

I am here at cost and risk to myself,
And I've put others out by coming,
Yet I'm reminded that I'm an outsider,
And the group celebrates without me.

When all is said and done,
I'll probably be thanked politely,
Yet I may be judged no longer necessary,
And someone more popular quietly put in my place.

Strange how right now on Facebook
I've just reconnected with the group that did it to me before,
Yet here it is twenty-seven years and several thousand miles away,
And I probably won't try getting revenge this time.

4 Comments:

  • I would hope that our age would confer such wisdom.

    By Blogger Don Snabulus, at 2:36 AM  

  • Electronic connections are nice, but are not a substitute for face to face connection with others, which I think is what people really need, and is what affects us most deeply and lastingly (is that a word?).

    I have had the happy opportunity to meet you in both realms and am the better for it in each case. I am sorry that people who benefit most from your real presence are unappreciative and causing you to turn more toward the electronic substitute. It is probably all to common an occurrence in industrialized society today.

    My advice is not to give up. (Well, as a practical matter you may have no choice). But continue to engage and apply your efforts to improve the face to face world you work in. That is not to say there is nothing of value to be had via the internet tubes, there most certainly is, but where you live is is what matters most.

    By the way, as I was typing this I was looking at your avatar (which looks remarkably like you). Is that a flying saucer hovering behind your left shoulder?

    By Blogger Pandabonium, at 7:01 PM  

  • Snabudon
    Let's see...how old am I now, 16 or 17?

    Pandabonium
    I think it boils down to a combination of my being the only foreigner in the group, simple conflict of interest, and the leader of our group wanting too much to do everything herself and therefore passive-aggressively "attacking" her #2 (i.e. me) to defend her position. Things improved a bit once we got all the students back together into a single group and my assistance became more necessary. (Of course my politely confronting her about her attitude might have helped, too.)

    Yes, that is a flying saucer. If you see the avatar on my Yahoo home page, the saucer flies around.

    By Blogger The Moody Minstrel, at 7:28 PM  

  • People often don't appreciate the good things and good people they have around them until they are taken away. Hang in there, you are doing great!

    I know I appreciate your being my blog-friend. Thank you for being, my dear wonderful, funny and talented friend.

    By Blogger HappySurfer, at 4:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home