Life in the Land of the Rising Sun

Thursday, July 27, 2006

And Now for a Commercial Break

Well, not exactly commercial...

Typhoon #7 (known as "Maria" in the Western world), as so many fortunately do, hit the Boso peninsula to the south of us and ricocheted back into the ocean, missing us with all but the outermost fringe of rain. Since the kids were off on a trip with their grandparents today, and my wife and I braved the waves of downpours to go on our first "date" in a long time, at least during the afternoon. The storm had already passed and the clouds were breaking up by the time we were heading home for dinner. Right after my BLUE RAV4 crossed the Kitaura Great Bridge from Kashima into Namegata we saw a brilliant rainbow coming down over the lake next to a little shrine set on pillars in the middle of the water. I quickly pulled off and snapped a picture with my cell phone:



It is only a cell phone shot, which doesn't do it justice, and you can't really make out the shrine, but I felt I should share it just the same. And now for the next post about the Australia trip:

5 Comments:

  • lucky for us in shikoku, typhoon 7 completely ignored us... so, we are still very much dry, and hot...

    By Blogger Lrong Lim, at 1:07 PM  

  • Good thing it ricocheted back to the ocean. Thanks for sharing that rainbow. I haven't seen one first-hand lately and with the hot weather here, guess I won't be seeing one for awhile.

    By Blogger HappySurfer, at 5:05 PM  

  • Don't think I've seen a rainbow in a couple of years.

    Are you rather proud of your RAV 4? You often mention it...

    So where's the typhoon now?

    By Blogger Olivia, at 1:13 AM  

  • It seems like rainbows are becoming endangered species in many parts of the world, while in others we're just thankful to have a bit of sun!

    My pride in my BLUE RAV 4 is an old joke. Actually, when I first came to Japan back in the 90s the overwhelming majority of Japanese cars were white. That was something that ex-pats here were fond of complaining about. Things have changed, and now most Japanese cars are probably silver, but there are still an awful lot of white ones, and BLUE is quite rare!

    The first car I bought here, which was the first car I'd ever bought in my life, was a well-used red Suzuki Alto minicar (i.e. less than 1000cc engine) which promptly died. This was followed by a well-used white Suzuki Alto minicar which promptly died. My father-in-law helped me get a new car, and when he asked me what color I wanted I said, "Anything but white." Guess what? He got me a white Daihatsu Mira minicar, which was actually a really good, dependable machine (which was why I kept it even though it was white), but definitely too small (and simple) for my needs. That's why I was really happy to be able to go out and buy my very own, brand-new RAV4 by myself...and even happier that it was BLUE!

    The typhoon has long since passed to the north and broken up. We had typical post-typhoon weather yesterday, i.e. clear, really hot, and really muggy. That didn't stop us from taking a quick trip to the heat island of Tokyo...

    By Blogger The Moody Minstrel, at 11:44 PM  

  • Hehe, it's cheaper for the factories to popularise one colour.

    My ex told me last year that the most popular british car colour was silver because it was easier and more cost-effective.

    By Blogger Olivia, at 9:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home