Life in the Land of the Rising Sun

Sunday, December 24, 2006

Let There Be Li...Oh, No...

This evening my family and I went out (hopefully) to finish our Christmas shopping. We split up for the return home, going in separate cars. I passed Kashima Jingu Station on the way back. This is what I saw:

Jingulights1

There were quite a lot of cars and pedestrians passing by, taking in the sensory overload view.

Jingulights2 Jingulights3 Jingulights4 Jingulights5 Jingu tree-no flash

Our tax yen at work. Cripes. This is far worse than the Festival of Luminous Overindulgence at the Aso Civic Center. I mean, I love Christmas lights as much as if not more than the next man, but come on!

Jingu way1 Jingu way2 Jingu way3

The brick-paved lane leading from the station up to the shrine entrance was also decorated with lights, but it was (thankfully) far more beautiful than tacky. In classic European style, it was mostly white lights and kept to a tasteful minimum except for the little park in the middle, which was a blue blur surrounded by a white curtain. I had trouble getting stable pictures from my car, but I didn't want to annoy the people behind me be stopping on that narrom lane. Oh, well. I think the pics I got helped reflect the mood.

Merry Christmas, everyone!!!!

7 Comments:

  • LOL

    Beautiful lights though...

    Merry Christmas 2006
    &
    Happy New Year 2007
    to you and your family :)

    By Blogger Selba, at 10:48 AM  

  • These are pretty displays. You might remember our Shilo Inn display which has gone red, white, and blue since 2001 to "honor the troops." As with most of America, the Hemstreets (owners of Shilo Inns) prefer to show their allegiance through showy displays rather than spilling the blood of their children.

    Nonetheless, it is nice to see such beautiful displays in your own municipalities.

    Merry Christmas my good man!

    By Blogger Don Snabulus, at 3:11 PM  

  • Thanks for the pics. We'll have to have a look at those this week. Merry Christmas to you and yours from PandaB, K, and Momo the U no What.

    By Blogger Pandabonium, at 8:19 PM  

  • Here's wishing you and your family a Very Merry Chritmas!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:05 AM  

  • All this Christmas symbolism of lights etc. but I thought in Japan people worked on Christmas Day and it just isn't a public holiday! Right!
    Pretty anyway.
    W.
    I got over my 'don't wanna do Christmas this year' and we did have a row of coloured lights across the front verandah after all.

    By Blogger Peceli and Wendy's Blog, at 11:28 AM  

  • Merry Christmas to you and your family!

    I agree... too many lights. Sometimes less is more.

    I hope that Santa brought you and everyone all that your hearts desired!

    By Blogger Um Naief, at 7:38 PM  

  • I hope you had a wonderful Christmas. Here's to a great New Year, with even more yen spent on lighting, and fireworks.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home