Life in the Land of the Rising Sun

Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Crimson Skies

I was on my way to a local shopping center with the kids to pick up a few things this evening when I noticed a spectacular sight. The sky directly above us was mostly clear with just a few mottled clouds here and there. However, the far side of Lake Kasumigaura was socked in, and the setting sun was making that whole half of the heavens blaze with glory.

Sept 12 sunset-1

Unfortunately, I was on a main route with no shoulders, no viable turnoffs, and traffic coming up fast behind me. I also didn't have my camera. Not wanting to give up, I handed my cell phone to my daughter and said, "Shoot it!" She complied, and these pics are the result.

Sept 12 sunset-2

I'm afraid these pictures just don't do the actual scene justice. For one thing, they just don't reproduce the color accurately. The skies were blazing a deep, almost blood red. It looked like the clouds were smoldering.

We could just see the darkened, twin peaks of Mt. Tsukuba hovering over the mist in the distance like a pair of hooded figures standing there, eying us balefully, under blood-red skies. Unfortunately, that pic didn't turn out...but why am I hearing Judas Priest playing in the background?

You wont break me
You wont make me
You wont take me,
Under blood red skies


Speaking of which, my three-day, post school festival holiday is over. I'm back to work again tomorrow.

12 Comments:

  • hmmm is the blood sky an omen about going back to work?

    By Blogger Swinebread, at 11:46 PM  

  • I always love a spectacular sunrise or sunset. It kind of busts you out of your normal routine.

    By Blogger Don Snabulus, at 12:58 AM  

  • I can imagine how beautiful the scene was =) I always find such beautiful sceneries so soothing.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:50 AM  

  • Oh Gosh,
    gotta dig up my Judas Priest
    Just reminded me I've got none on file

    By Blogger QUASAR9, at 4:05 AM  

  • Interesting thing about trying to do something Justice, it never seems to do it. Justice of course can do anything, but for anything to do Justice, well that is another story...perhaps an Intrepid story...hmmm maybe something with more punch than the word story...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:18 AM  

  • Ow, sometimes even looking at the sun in a photo hurts the eyes!

    I love sunset photos, though. They're just ... wonderful!

    By Blogger Olivia, at 7:26 AM  

  • Peachy!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:41 AM  

  • Suddenly, I think of E.T. phone home! {:=)}

    The first pic. looks a bit shaky or just you drove too fast.:-p

    By Blogger PinkPanther, at 1:05 PM  

  • Beautifuuuuullll.... though it's only taken by a handphone but still can tell how beautiful the scene is :)

    Love sunset and sunrise!

    By Blogger Selba, at 5:00 PM  

  • To each his own on the background music, but we had the privilege of seeing that sky as well - myself, K and Momo. It was glorious and we spent a goodly amount of time appreciating it. Such things in life are to be savored. Glad you caught at least the "flavor" of it with images.

    By Blogger Pandabonium, at 7:41 PM  

  • Not too bad, considering that the pics were taken with a cell phone...

    By Blogger Lrong Lim, at 12:16 PM  

  • You're going to have even less time for blogging now, what with your new online addiction!

    By Blogger Olivia, at 8:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home