Life in the Land of the Rising Sun

Friday, September 21, 2007

Oops....I Forgot...

I completely forgot to mention the reason why the last post was entitled "A Matter of Time". Something really freaky happened that I wanted to talk about, and somehow it slipped my mind. Okay, I'll mention it now. A couple of weeks ago my wife and I noticed something weird (besides each other).

We have always kept our watches set according to the time shown on the TV screen during the morning news. Not surprisingly, that always turns out to be the time set at our respective schools. Meanwhile, I have always kept the clock in my BLUE RAV4 set exactly five minutes faster than my watch for reasons of psychology (i.e. it tends to encourage me to leave earlier and not waste time even if I'm consciously aware of the intentional setting). That means, naturally, the car clock is also five minutes faster than TV news time and school time, right? Normally, yes. However...

For some reason, two weeks ago we noticed that my wife's watch and my watch were both three minutes faster than TV news/school time. Even more bizarre was the fact that my car clock was eight minutes faster, i.e. three minutes faster relative to its plus-five setting. That meant that, somehow, I, my wife, and my car had gained an identical three minutes.

It was even stranger when we discovered that all the various clocks in our house as well as our cell phones were in agreement with the TV news time, i.e. three minutes behind our watches.

What happened?!?

Did we pass through a time wrinkle on one of our Narita shopping trips???!?

(cue X-Files theme)

Labels:

9 Comments:

  • Not unless you brought your house with you.

    By Blogger Don Snabulus, at 1:18 AM  

  • Not necessarily. Remember that I mentioned our house clocks were in agreement with TV news time, not our watches or my car clock. That meant we left the house behind.

    By Blogger The Moody Minstrel, at 1:21 AM  

  • Waaah.... should I say it's weird or spooky?

    By Blogger Selba, at 3:50 PM  

  • You know that new "cell phone" tower behind your house? It ain't what you think it is.

    K drove me nuts with setting clocks ahead nonsense. You KNOW the clock is set ahead, so what's the point? Can you really fool yourself so easily? Ack! If she needs to leave at a certain time, then she should do so! Stop f***ing around with the g**d***ed clocks!

    Maybe the clock gods got po'd at you for doing that and decided to exact a little revenge.

    By Blogger Pandabonium, at 4:50 PM  

  • The truth is out there...

    By Blogger Olivia, at 5:24 AM  

  • Our time clock at work is intentionally set two minutes late so that when the bell rings we all get to stand around the time clock waiting for it to tick over.

    You may want to investigate how many of your clocks use a sattelite link to set the time by.

    On the other hand, maybe you were abducted by aliens. People who were abducted always complain about missing time. Why you were missing three minutes seems to indicate you were driving at the time the abduction took place...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:53 AM  

  • Oh you, your wife and your car shifted into a parallel dimension while your doppelgangers shifted to your original dimension. They only apparent difference between the two dimensions is the 3 minutes… it’s all physics man, I’m sure there is an M theory formula for it someplace.

    By Blogger Swinebread, at 8:50 AM  

  • M for Moody?

    By Blogger The Moody Minstrel, at 9:45 PM  

  • ok, that's weird! have you figured this out yet???

    By Blogger Um Naief, at 3:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home