Life in the Land of the Rising Sun

Wednesday, February 20, 2008

A New One for the Weirdness Book

Last night I had a truly bizarre and troubling nightmare. I dreamed that my wife had left me and married someone else, taking the kids with her, but her new husband had freaked out and attacked them before disappearing. Both of the kids had been beaten to death, and my wife was seriously injured. I was cooperating with investigators in trying to piece together just what had happened. I recall that we found the new husband had been drunk and had caused some kind of accident (If I remember correctly, he'd rammed a bridge with a yacht he'd been piloting, wrecking them both and killing lots of people), but he'd tried to cover it up. Apparently the kids had then reported him to the police. Feeling betrayed and also trying to blame them for the accident, the new husband had then flown into a rage and tortured the two kids before beating them to death with a tire iron. When my wife had come home from work after that and had seen what had happened, he'd beaten her unconscious with a frying pan. He had then run off.

I was told that investigators had pieced together most of what had happened and had even located the felon, but they didn't want to tell me all the details for some reason and became strangely hesitant to speak to me at all. Then my wife, who had survived, said she wanted us to get back together again. I was happy about that, but then something strange happened. I went back to my apartment to find a group of women living there...and it looked like they had been there for some time. My arrival interrupted a party, and my demands for an explanation only elicited a warning that the police would be called if I didn't leave immediately. That was when a massive, whiskery man reminding me of Hagrid in Harry Potter suddenly appeared and told me to go with him if I valued my life. Getting in his car, I was taken to a large cabin up in the mountains. There was a really strange group of people living there, basically goths, mystics, and eccentric artist types, and they told me I'd have to stay with them for a while for my own safety.

That was when I woke up...at 4:30 a.m.. But that was also when the real weirdness started.

I'd been wearing an antihistamine mask to help me breathe, since I've been fighting a cold. I figured that was what had caused the dream, so I sat up and took the mask off. That's when I heard my name called.

I'm serious. It was plain as day, clear as a bell. No mistake about it. A voice said my name. It sounded very much like my wife's voice, but I knew it couldn't be. Recently, because she gets up earlier than I do (and has been rather stressed out and unmotivated lately), my wife has tended to spend her working weeknights sleeping downstairs on the sofa. Last night was no different. I even got up and went downstairs to double-check. Sure enough, my wife was downstairs on the sofa, peacefully snoring.

All along I had a nagging feeling like I was being watched.

It was still only about 4:30 a.m., so I decided to make a quick pit stop and go back upstairs to bed. When I went into the bathroom, however, R2-Dtoilet immediately started malfunctioning in a way I've never seen before. The lid raised when I walked in, as it's supposed to, and the music started playing, but then it suddenly closed and went silent again. It did that twice before finally settling into the open position. Then, when I raised the seat, it suddenly went into a manually-triggered cleaning cycle. I waited for the thing to stop tweaking on me and calm down. Then I did my thing and got out of there.

R2-Dtoilet dutifully flushed itself, closed its lid, and went into the deodorizing cycle. But then, as soon as I stepped out of the bathroom, the lid suddenly raised and the music started playing again. A few seconds later it flushed and went into the deodorizing cycle again. That is odd. It should only do that if someone is standing in front of it.

I washed up and went back to bed with definite haste. The feeling that I was being watched was gone, though, and nothing unusual happened after that.

Who was in there with me?

17 Comments:

  • I've heard my name being called before. I was under an influence but it was still very clear and REAL, a loud whisper coming from behind me. It was very scary but intriguing at the same time.
    The rest of your dream...well, nothing like that ever happened to me, thank God. Interesting reading about it tho! Usually, the way it works for me, as soon as I remember a dream and either try to tell it myself or someone else, the plot disappears just as fast.
    My wife tends to have dreams, on occasion, and I'm not kidding, where she chops people up with chain saws.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:56 PM  

  • Jeff
    One of the things that bothered me about that dream was that I both remembered it in detail and it was so vivid that I actually felt exhausted after seeing it.

    Dreams like that don't happen to me very often. I term them "megadreams", and about 90% of the time they have turned out to be prophetic, but usually in a metaphorical rather than literal way. In this case I need to look for common elements or parallels I can draw with things in real life.

    By Blogger The Moody Minstrel, at 9:35 PM  

  • It's interesting that you had such a detailed vivid (and disturbing) dream and awoke to very real weirdness. Did you tell your wife about it?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:20 AM  

  • What the hell! I was freaked out enough by the awful detailed dream (I mean, gosh, did you eat cheese before going to bed or what?)

    And then when you got to the haunted toilet the hairs on the back of my neck stood up. Don't wanna go to bed now...

    *shivers*

    P.S. Tell me more about these antihistamine masks.

    By Blogger Olivia, at 8:18 AM  

  • P.P.S. speaking of vivid dreams, I rarely remember mine any more, but last night I had one in which I was hanging out with friends in a living room, and I was snuggled up to a really cute guy (have no idea who), and oddly enough the annoying young temp at our office was there too, and she was embarrassed by this.

    By Blogger Olivia, at 8:22 AM  

  • Well, I have often wished that there was some way for me to record my dreams because I often have dreams wherein I am observing things much like a camara and they unfold before me. I usually think to myself as I wake up that the dream would make a pretty good movie and was even viewed that way. Unfortunately I am not in the habit of writing that stuff down and soon forget what the dream was. Taking yourself and others you know out of the story and just making it a story I think you could expand it into an interesting novel or movie. Of course since you said they are often prophetic maybe people should start telling you what it means. You could make a contest of it. Hmmm I seem to remember someone else doing that a few years back....

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:53 PM  

  • Some of Psychologists explained that some dreams can’t achieve in their real life, thus people make them unconsciously in their minds/dreams.
    1) Abt. yr. malfunction R2-D toilet, u need to call a technician for helping you to check it out.!
    2) As for your weird dream: Have you read any terrible book lately?
    The best people to find out or explain your dream is yourself.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:55 PM  

  • Nikkipolani
    Yes, I did. It's not the first time that weird things like that have happened here, but it has been a few years. Usually things like that scare my wife. This time she just seemed amused.

    Olivia
    I don't usually remember my dreams, either. Sometimes I'll remember them enough to think I should write them down when I wake up, but then I can literally feel them deleting themselves from my memory. That's a freaky sensation, but it happens to me a lot. That's why, when I have a vivid dream that remains in my memory, I always take note!

    BTW: are your work and personal lives interfering with each other, m'lady?

    T.I.A.
    Refer back to my comment to Olivia. I know what you mean. I often wonder why some dreams are more or less erased from my conscious mind within minutes of my waking up.

    L.C._D.
    I certainly wouldn't WANT to live any of the things I saw! Seeing my children brutally murdered was pretty nasty!

    Oh, and my toilet is working just fine, thanks!

    By Blogger The Moody Minstrel, at 12:12 AM  

  • Moody,

    Perhaps this is a dream that shouldn't be shared publicly. Think about it for a bit. Dreams are portals into our subconcious. I would have rather seen the story in a private email than to see it plastered on the web.

    But now that you have done it, lets look at some basic facts. You are having a hard time at work. If you lose your job for some reason, it would be very difficult for you to find a new teaching job.

    Second, your relationship with your wife seems to indicate it is not as cozy as you think. All though many couples sleep in seperate beds for practical reasons, well, you get the idea. Examine your relationship. Give your wife more personal time. Both of you do way too many things that keep you away from each other.

    Death in dreams can be a sign of danger. All though I won't go into detail, I can say that I have had two dreams where I have been shot. Some how, I survived in the dreams. I don't know how or why. But death in dreams is also said to be a point of new beginning. The old self dies, and a better self resurects to take its place.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:51 AM  

  • Dave
    I'm not that worried about it. Some aspects of my life are more personal than others, but this isn't necessarily something I'd consider worthy of hoarding.

    You are having a hard time at work. If you lose your job for some reason, it would be very difficult for you to find a new teaching job.

    Actually, looking at my own personal interpretation of what I saw in the dream, I had to wonder about that part about my going back to my apartment to find it taken over by women who had turned it into a party venue...and kicked me out with the backing of the authorities. In many ways that parallels what I've seen happening with the sister-school project. I haven't been kicked out; on the contrary, the authorities seem to be trying to put me back in.

    That also makes me wonder about why I was warned to retreat into exile with a bunch of eccentric artists, though...

    I'm still thinking about it, believe me.

    By Blogger The Moody Minstrel, at 5:37 PM  

  • You need to start having dreams about ditching work and taking trips to Europe. That’s the dream I had last night. They are much more fun and a lot less troubling. Plus if you’re a little more lucid you just change the dream and do something else.

    It appears that you have suffered an auditory hallucination ‘cause any other explanation is too scary to think of.

    By Blogger Swinebread, at 1:32 AM  

  • I agree, learning to control your dreams is worth trying

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:27 AM  

  • Wow, Moody, and to think you once commented on my blog that you don't get clear signals from the other world. Not that these are clear mind you, but they are certainly loud. And very, very interesting.

    The part of your dream--all of which is fascinating and frightening--which shouts at me is the fact that you were told to seek protection among eccentric/mystic/artistic types.

    I do wonder who was there with you, who called to you, who made the toilet act up. Clearly, this "spirit" or who/whatever is playful. That seems good to me.

    By Blogger San, at 7:44 AM  

  • I like Swinebread's approach to dreams..

    As for the toilet, that was no spirit, they was obviously a mix up and instead of an R2-Droilet you got a HAL9000 toilet.

    Open the pod bay doors HAL. If it refuses to open some night, you may have to go where no man has gone before.

    By Blogger Pandabonium, at 7:57 AM  

  • I get people calling my name too, Bro. I'll turn around and no one is behind me. It even happens in broad daylight. Face it, you're a freak. You'd so hate being ordinary anyway. As for the commune in the woods. . it's your tribe man.

    By Blogger Phillipa Scratch, at 11:17 AM  

  • Swinebread
    I certainly wish I could've controlled THAT dream...

    If it was a hallucination, it was a bloody loud and clear one!

    San
    The signals I get always tend to come in erratic waves and are often very loud when they do. Now if only I could figure them out. Otherwise, I might have been able to warn certain governments about...naaah. I won't talk about that.

    Pandabonium
    "I'm sorry, Moody, but I can't do that..."

    Phillipa
    As for the commune in the woods. . it's your tribe man.

    Actually, you don't know how meaningful that statement really is, and it has really gotten me thinking about who it was I saw in that "commune". I think San's comment was also very significant in that respect. I think I've just figured out something important. Thanks!

    By Blogger The Moody Minstrel, at 7:27 PM  

  • Can you send me over some of those masks?

    I don't have those kinds of dreams, so I can't help much. I am confident that whatever it is, you'll figure it out...or not...maybe "confident" isn't the right word then. Told you I couldn't help much.

    By Blogger Don Snabulus, at 3:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home