Life in the Land of the Rising Sun

Monday, June 15, 2009

Tracked Down

It's not unusual for abandoned animals to turn up in our neighborhood. In fact, six of the last seven cats kept at our place over the past seventeen years or so were ones other people had dumped off. (The one exception was Aka, who was born here.) Most of them just suddenly turned up on our property (and a few moved on after staying with us a while). A couple, including Tora, appeared at the campus of the elementary school down the street and wound up being brought home by my daughter.

Yes, my daughter has a soft spot for animals, especially cats. If she'd had her way all the time, the number of feline tenants at our place would probably have been considerably higher, and I actually had to blow the whistle on a couple. At any rate, we figured the fuzzy influx would finally drop if not end altogether when my daughter entered junior high school this year.

Dream on.

The last cat that my daughter took care of at her school was a kitten that turned up there last March. She never brought it home (thank goodness), but fed it and played with it during her last month at the elementary school. During Spring Vacation, after she graduated, she kept going back to the school to take care of it, but after a few days it simply vanished. She figured either it had run away or someone had taken it in, and it was soon forgotten.

Last Saturday, while my daughter was in her room (supposedly) doing her homework, she suddenly let out a cry. I went to see what the matter was. There, sitting on a ledge on the neighbors' property so it was just level with my daughter's bedroom window, was a youngish cat. It just sat there watching us, occasionally meowing. My daughter went outside to investigate, but it was gone. It didn't stay that way long, however. It began to come closer, little by little, as it overcame its fear, but it was clear that it was most comfortable around my daughter. That wasn't surprising since it appears to be the same cat that she was taking care of at her school last March.

I have to wonder whether this will end up being a new resident or not. Even though Tora has been fixed, and has already become a lot less aggressive as a result, there are two unneutered tomcats that lodge in our greenhouse at intervals. They are actually fairly even-tempered; in nearly every case it was Tora that picked a fight with them (and tended to get his butt kicked much if not most of the time), but they seem amazingly tolerant of the presence of other felines as well as being comfortable around humans. This new youngster actually seems a bit more on the wild side, though he's calm around my daughter. Even if he is welcomed by everyone else, however, it's questionable whether my father-in-law will put up with him; he tends to get antsy if another cat shows up...though quite often he's the one who decides to take them in after all.

(I'll try to get a pic of the new guy if I can.)

10 Comments:

  • XD, cat-talk suddenly sounds so cute.

    I MIGHT (If I'm really lucky) get a chance to go to Japan this year-end through a student-exchange program, but oh well, we'll see.

    Hoping against hope that I'll get the golden chance.

    By Blogger Ryo Helmenkalastaja, at 7:46 PM  

  • ❤ IceGlacial™ ❤

    Best of luck! Let me know if anything comes of it!

    By Blogger The Moody Minstrel, at 8:34 PM  

  • Yea, that's how we got our cat, but fortunately he was already fixed when we got him.

    We theorize he was dumped by some folks in the apartment complex behind us when they moved out...

    He's pretty friendly though!

    By Blogger ladybug, at 10:39 PM  

  • Yeah, our cat makes me sneeze a lot, but he loves us so I guess we gotta keep him.

    Good luck with whatever you decide.

    By Blogger Don Snabulus, at 12:03 AM  

  • It is amazing how cats know where to go, isn't it? I have never heard of a dog going off and finding a new person to look after it. I guess cats really are just a bit smarter than dogs.

    If my dog wasn't such a cat hater I think my daughter would have started bringing cats home by now...

    By Blogger Rock Chef, at 12:57 AM  

  • It sounds like your daughter is a kind-hearted soul and cats know it. Hope it all works out with a minimum of cat fights.

    By Anonymous nikkipolani, at 1:06 AM  

  • If your daughter suddenly takes to wearing a black leather jumpsuit and a hood with pointy ears you will know that the transformation is complete.

    By Anonymous Dave, at 9:40 AM  

  • Oh... your daughter is so sweet!!! I really believe that she has a very kind heart :)

    Bless those people who love cats and dogs!!!

    By Blogger Selba, at 10:20 AM  

  • Maybe my daughter is trying to make up for all the cruelty she inflicts on her younger brother.

    By Blogger The Moody Minstrel, at 12:52 PM  

  • I used to be like your daughter when I was a kid. I would always feed stray dogs or cats. People in my neighborhood knew how much I like animals and one day someone even left a puppy at my doorstep. The puppy came with a note saying "take good care of Luna". My mom didn't allow me to keep it though. We already had so many pets at home. I gave it to my maid.

    I really like cats. I had a cat a long time ago but then one day she just disappeared. I never knew what happened to her.

    By Anonymous ÅnGe|e, at 12:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home