Life in the Land of the Rising Sun

Wednesday, June 04, 2008

The First Attempt

I've finally done it! I've completed my first song using my new all-digital studio setup!

If you've been keeping up with this blog and/or my Minstrel's Muse site, you know that I bought a Roland Sonic Cell and Edirol (Cakewalk) SONAR 7 Studio Edition a few months ago as my birthday present to myself this year. I fiddled with them a bit while completing my Blog Blunder album to try to get to know them, but I still relied on my 8-track recorder, studio effectors, and stereo CD burner to produce the final product. This time I did it all straight to the computer and made the audio file straight from the computer with nothing in between!

It certainly took long enough. It was quite some doing just getting the first track done, since there were so many settings I had to get right first. Once I got past that first hurdle (and read the tutorials carefully) things got much easier. There were only a few screwups, none of them seriously affecting the outcome, but learning as I go is the whole reason I'm doing this now! Besides, I'm still only just barely scratching the surface as far as what this gear can do!

Anyway, my first new product on the new setup is a song called "Perspective". Listen and tell me what you think! (Yes, I know it's a bit rough, but hey...this was intended to be an experiment and a lesson, a first step if you will, rather than a serious project. I'll get funky once I have it all down. Maybe then I can finish those arrangements for Jeff...)

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

  • Well...I see that one thing I need to do is learn to fade out the ending if not crop it short.

    By Blogger The Moody Minstrel, at 11:17 PM  

  • Congratulations on setting up your system and successfully recording a song. I myself have just nearly completed the hardware for my new studio. I bought a new sound card. I bought a new amp and speakers for the sound card to be heard through. I got something I have long wanted which is a mini studio mixer. And it was only a hundred and ten bucks. Thats how much it cost to fill up my truck last week!

    Not quite finished yet. Need to install the Cake Walk software as the stuff provided by the sound card is not very useful. Need to find a spot on the power strip to plug in the keyboard. Need a balanced line mic cable.

    I will probably eat a little lean for the next week...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:46 AM  

  • At least you're eating lean because you bought stuff you really wanted. I get to be flat broke because I need a root canal!

    By Blogger Phillipa Scratch, at 8:42 AM  

  • Sounds good - the machine's singing sounds just like your real voice. ;^)

    All digital? Does that mean you did it all with your fingers?

    By Blogger Pandabonium, at 7:17 AM  

  • Dave
    Make sure you let me hear some of what you produce.

    Phillipa
    You don't absolutely need one. You just chose to get one because you didn't want to put up with a little pain. ;-)

    (I know, not funny.)

    Pandabonium
    I did everything with my fingers except the singing. Oh, and I guess I used my arm sometimes to strum a guitar or bang out a power chord.

    By Blogger The Moody Minstrel, at 11:21 AM  

  • Wow, that sounded great on these fancy speakers. I literally jumped when your backing vocals came on, nearly looked behind me!

    And I thought your fadeout was fine, or is it an oldie style?

    By Blogger Olivia, at 3:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home